Who's Your Daddy?

        I know Father’s Day is a few months away, but for today’s post I wanted to write about the man we grow up calling, “Dad.”
        For some, a father is a man that walked out. For others, it’s a person busy making a living for his family. Yet for others, a father is one of the most influential people in their lives.

My dad.

          After high school, I decided to go to college about 800 miles away from home. Texas A&M University. While my dad was adamant about me going to Mizzou (which was only two hours from home), he supported my decision and on August 22, 2010 he dropped his first-born daughter, daddy’s little girl, off at her dorm and said goodbye. In the midst of his busy schedule, my dad always managed to find time to send me a, “Goodnight, I love you,” text right before bed. Not just once a week. Or every so often. But EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT.   When I didn’t make good grades. When I disappointed him. When I forgot to tell him happy birthday.  I still managed get a “Goodnight, I love you” text right before I fell asleep. To this day, I don’t think my dad has missed a single night.
            My dad didn’t wait for me to make a good grade on an exam to send me a text. He didn’t expect anything in return. Even when I made a mistake, he still made sure I knew that he loved me. That his love would never stop.
            Apostle Paul writes in Romans,
“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
             My dad is the epitome of a father. And through him, I am able to catch a glimpse of what my heavenly father is like. No matter how many times I disappoint him, I know my dad still loves me. At times when all I wanted was a 'yes,' my dad would say 'no.' Not because he didn’t love me, but because through saying 'no,' he was teaching me discipline. He was making me a better person.
             These things, and more, have shown me what it means that God is my father. And that He is yours. God’s love is unconditional, regardless of the gravity of our mistakes. He has a purpose behind every ‘no’ or ‘wait.’ He is not out to get us.

He is there for me.
And He is there for YOU.

Through my father, I see a glimpse of God’s love. A love that is complete. Eternal. Perfect.
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
            This is the love of Christ. This is the love your heavenly Father wants to share with you. The question is, do you believe it?
            Do you believe that God is for you? That he loves you unconditionally? That no matter what you do to disappoint Him or no matter how far you stray, His love is deeper? Do you believe that his ‘no’ or ‘wait’ is actually an expression of love?
            Today, I am grateful for my dad. Who’s “Goodnight, I love you” texts every night emulate the love God has me. And I am grateful to my heavenly Father for His unending, unconditional, love and for blessing me with a pretty awesome

 DAD.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe.

Just Keep Swimming

Overcomer.