Prayer.

Looks like we’ve made it to 2014! As a new year begins, I wanted to write about something that I believe we could all add to our New Year’s resolution list. The focus today – prayer.
As most of you are aware by the below-freezing temperatures outside, the other day the Midwest was hit with a snow storm. My brother was scheduled to fly back to Connecticut the day the storm hit. Naturally, the night before he flew out, I prayed my best prayer for the storm to be so bad that my brother’s flight would get cancelled and he would get to stay another day. The next morning---flight cancelled.
In all honesty, I felt pretty proud of myself after that prayer. God answered that one fast, I must be getting good at this! Then I started thinking about my prayer life. Lately I’ve been hearing my prayers go a lot like this, “Bless me. Be with me. Watch over and protect me. Forgive me.” What’s wrong with prayers like that? They all end with ME.
           The Bible says in Ephesians 1:3:

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.”

          The verse doesn't say, “We will be blessed” but instead “Who HAS blessed us.” Past tense. When we ask Jesus into our hearts to be our Lord and Savior, His grace showers us with countless blessings. While we’re asking God, “Will you bless me more” God is replying “There is nothing more I can give you that you don’t have already!”
So what exactly has God given us?

·         All things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3)
·         We are heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17)
·         We are children of God (John 1:12)
·         We are seated at the right hand of God (Ephesians 2:6)
·         Nothing can separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38)
·         He will supply all our needs (Philippians 4:19)
·         Freedom from our sins (Galatians 3:22)
·         Forgiveness (1 John 1:9)
·         Access to God’s Kingdom (Matthew 6:33)
·         Eternal life (John 3:16)
·         Constant communication with God (Isaiah 30:21)
·         Acceptance (John 6:37)
·         Care (1 Peter 5:7)
·         Love (Romans 5:8)
          
             And those are only a few of the blessings He gives us when we accept Him into our lives. Some of you reading this might not have that relationship with Christ. Now is the time! Look what you’re missing out on! God wants us to realize how much He has already blessed us with and start using those blessings to glorify His name.
            While my prayer for my brother’s flight to be cancelled ended up answered, God was probably looking down on me with a chuckle as He sent the snow. If God could text, his reply would go something like, “smh :)”
           Before we all go to bed tonight, maybe we should try praying a little different. Instead of “God bless ME” try “God you have blessed me with so much, let me bless YOU.” Instead of “Be with me,” pray “God let your glory shine through every moment of my life---every job, every relationship, every journey---so YOUR name is praised." These are the prayers that will build your relationship with God. These are the prayers that will change your life.



… and the occasional snow storm prayer probably won’t hurt ;)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Me Under the Mistletoe.

Just Keep Swimming

Overcomer.